Regular courses are held Monday evenings and Saturday mornings consisting of five weekly classes, each lasting 2hours 30mins. Occasional weekend courses are held over two consecutive weekends from 10am-5pm. Each session is for a maximum of five couples in the comfort of my home in St Brelade. One to one courses tailored to meet individual needs can also be arranged. An optional additional Breastfeeding session is also included within the course fee.
Refresher courses for mums returning for their second or subsequent HypnoBirth can be arranged. These are usually one session for 2hours 30mins around 30-32 weeks and can be individual or small groups.
- Introduction to HypnoBirthing – what it is, what it is not!
- Understanding influences affecting birthing-language, birth stories.
- Mindset- the power of the mind!
- Anatomy – your clever uterus!
- Hormones – the good and the not-so-good!
- Introducing your technique:- Breathing exercises-how; when; why. Visualisation-what we can achieve. Relaxation (self-hypnosis) – not just for labour – for life!
- Using the online library.
- What kind of birth?? – practicalities to help.
- Connecting with baby.
- 1st stage of labour – what is happening – what to expect.
- The power of surges – breathing & visualisations.
- Role of the birth partner – how to support – practical; verbal; tactile.
- Partner’s script to deepen relaxation.
- Physical preparation.
- Instant and progressive relaxation.
- Transition …… the changes, the challenges!
- 2nd stage of labour – understanding and working with the body using breathing, visualisation and optimal positions.
- Profound relaxation.
- Birth preferences – understanding options and choices – Knowledge IS power!
- What if it’s not straightforward – from induction to Caesarean section and anything else.
- Relaxation – releasing negative thoughts.
- Practical preparation in the last few weeks.
- Managing labour – consolidating what we have learned.
- Birth partner’s practical guide.
- Meeting your baby- that precious hour!
- Realistic expectations.
- Newborn behaviour.
- Effective attachment.
- Responsive feeding.
- Possible challenges – who said it was easy?
- Hormones – making the most of them.
- Physical & emotional demands for the new parent.
- Care of your baby.
Included with the course is the 4th edition HypnoBirthing The Mongan Method book, a definitive guide for a safer, easier, more comfortable birthing in the way that most mirrors nature. It is the textbook used by clients in HypnoBirthing classes but is not designed to replace the comprehensive instruction you will receive by attending an authorised HypnoBirthing course.
- The birth of natural childbirth.
- The birth of HypnoBirthing.
- The philosophy of HypnoBirthing.
- A history of women and birthing.
- How fear effects labour.
- The power of the mind.
- Preparing your mind and body for success.
- Breathing techniques.
- Relaxation techniques.
- Visualisation techniques.
- Deepening techniques.
- Caring for and preparing your body.
- Planning your baby’s birth.
- Labour and the role of the birthing companion.
- The early post-natal days.
Also included with the course is an online library of scripts, music and narrations.